photo Bloggerrebootheadertrial.png

06 March 2013

Tips & Inspiration for a Unique Header


Hi everyone! I'm Gia, 19 year old student/entrepreneur from New Zealand. I blog over at Lovely Serendipity and run a design shop at The Savvy Chics. Today, I'm going to share some tips and inspiration in creating a blog header.

There are a variety of ways on how to make a blog header. Some people hire designers, some take the time to learn and practice. Any method is fine as long as it looks visually appealing. Here are some ideas:

1.) Photo manipulation - A lot of bloggers use photoshop to edit and enhance their photos to make a blog header. This is the best way to create one if your photos were professionally taken/have high resolutions. It's also the best option if you're savvy with editing programs! 


2.) Graphics and Illustrations - This is the most popular type of header nowadays. Typography, custom illustrations, etc. There are so many ways on how to do it! Personally, I'm the type of person who would create a very customised one - I tend to illustrate everything. Others would create an original typography of their blog name, while some place their unique logos.


3.) Pre made headers - Another popular method these days is to purchase pre made headers. You'll simply type down your blog name on the header and it's good to go!

(via Etsy)

Now that you know your options, you're now ready to get started on your blog header! I made a checklist of the things you need to ask yourself as you create one:

1.) Does my blog header reflect me and my blog? - The header is the very first thing that your readers will see when they come across your blog. I know this info's under the "hello everyone knows that" category but a lot of people seem to neglect it! The header should convey a connection or message to the readers. Who are YOU? What is the blog about? What can they expect out of it?

If your blog's header looks unprofessional or not visually appealing, it's very likely that your visitors won't even scroll down. I know that because that's what I do, and I know you do it too!  So make sure you give your visitors a reason to stick around.

2.) Does it match well with the overall aesthetics of my blog? - This is also another factor that people tend to forget. It is very vital that everything on your blog matches with one another. You don't want your readers to get distracted, do you? 

3.) Be unique! - Just because everyone's doing a certain trend doesn't mean that you should to. If you have fresh ideas, bring it on! Remember, your blog header is responsible for your readers' first impression of you and your blog.

A few more tips:

1.) Use Pinterest - Look for inspiration (but don't copy!) Create a moodboard, find out what your favourite items have in common then brainstorm them. This will be very important for you or your designer! 

2.) Stick to a certain idea - I know it can be tempting to throw in many ideas into the header but try to minimize it and just focus on one important message. Don't throw in a picture of your pets + make up + your family. Perhaps if you're a beauty blogger, put some make up and other beauty products around.

3.) Make sure you love it! - Having a header that you really like will definitely give you the boost to keep on blogging. I don't know why but it really does!


I hope my tips helped you! If you have questions, you can always email me :)


1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say thanks for this series of posts :) I've spent the last half hour or so reading them all and it's definitely given me food for thought!

    nicolakirsty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving feedback, so thank you! =)
Your support means the world to me.

Have a charming day ;)
xo, amy