Meet Aubrey Kinch of The Kinch Life. She's here to answer some questions about her design process.
>> WHAT ARE FOUR THINGS EVERY BLOG DESIGN SHOULD HAVE?
- When I come to a blog the first thing I want to see are social media links. It's funny because I've never been a huge fan of social media to the extent of my husband and I both going without it until I started blogging but it's a great resources to really "meeting" the blogger as a person and finding out in depth who they are. It always brightens my day getting a tweet from a blog friend or being tagged on instagram. I also really like an image on sidebar to show who the writer behind the blog is! In addition to that and about me section is key as well as a contact page. Nothing upsets me more when I want to reach out to a blogger and I can't find their email or a form of a way to contact them.
>> WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE COLOR SCHEMES?
- I am obsessed with anything mint or blush these days. It may just be trendy in general but I made my previous design in those tones and haven't been able to get away from it since. I even recently revamped our guest bedroom into an office for me and guess what? It has the gorgeous blush tone all throughout and small touches of mint are throughout of home!
>> WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE FONTS?
- I'm really into using all caps for fonts that are basic and one I've grown to really love is Caviar Dreams. It's basic and streamlined but different and I love it. I also love anything with a calligraphy flair such as Bombshell Pro [who doesn't love this one?!] and Prof. Jorge.
>> HOW DO YOU GET THE "PIN IT" SCROLL OVER BUTTON TO YOUR PHOTOS (ON BLOGGER)?
- That pin it button is something I haven't actually ever installed! I like to have the little "pin it" button at the bottom of all my posts which is just a great way to create more traffic to your blog through Pinterest but I do know, my dear friend Ashlyn did a tutorial on the hover "pin it" image, here.
>> WHERE DO YOU GET INSPIRATION FOR YOUR DESIGN & BRANDING?
- Everywhere! I love finding new blogs and really searching through color palettes and textures. Pinterest is a great way for me to spend a few hours browsing and finding images that may just show something beautiful and it alone, gets me motivated to create a new printable or download for my readers. Just this past Sunday at church I was so inspired by the worship set, it made me come straight home and create a little desktop background. Simple things in life make all the difference when looking a little deeper.
>> WHAT RE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE TOOLS?
- Brushes! I don't use Adobe software so it's taken me a while to figure out how to create beautiful things with the resources I do have and I finally found a way to download brushes as a tool. They've been my best friend every since!
>> WHAT PROGRAMS DO YOU USE?
- Funny thing, I spend a good 4 months of using Paint. Yep, good old Paint. I wanted to learn how to make my design bold and gorgeous but didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a designer to do it so I spent many nights up late researching and I did all designing of mine through Paint. I recently downloaded GIMP which is equivalent to Adobe Photoshop and it's been a huge blessing. I love it and won't turn back now. Although, I do still use Paint for random things!
>> WHAT IS YOUR TYPICAL PROCESS LIKE?
- You can ask any of my previous clients that I'm known for being a bit wordy when emailing from the start! I take a good 30 minutes with each email getting down all the details and questions I have in my head so we can get started with the design process extremely educated and fully aware of all outcomes. So to begin, I get to know my client and her//or his likes and dislikes and then build from there.
>> IF YOU USE WORDPRESS OR BLOGGER, WHAT DO YOU NOTICE THAT IS UNIQUE FROM BOTH?
- I use Blogger and have never once used Wordpress. I do team with Nicole from The Style Hatch with WP designing but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it because I'm simply not educated.
>> IF YOU USE WORDPRESS OR BLOGGER, WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE?
- Again, BLOGGER! It's so user friendly and easy to navigate. I haven't had any issues in the 1.5 years of blogging.
>> WHAT IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO SAY/DO SAY TO EVERY CLIENT?
- I make a huge point of making sure they know how much their trust and business means to me. It's been a huge blessing blogging and how it's been able to help me build this design brand. Before blogging, I hated schooled and always knew I'd be a stay at home mom. I had dropped out of college classes semester after semester and here I am now, without a degree, building my life and career around design. I never thought I would be doing this and each of my clients are making it possible for me and for my family. Truly, it brings so much joy and happiness to my heart and I can't thank them enough!